December 2, 2020

Shows

By Yilei Sun and Brenda Goh



FILE PHOTO: The Tesla logo


© Reuters/Aly Song
FILE PHOTO: The Tesla logo

BEIJING (Reuters) – Tesla Inc plans to start manufacturing electric vehicle (EV) chargers in China in 2021, according to a document submitted to the Shanghai authorities by the U.S. firm which is seeking to expand sales in the world’s biggest car market.

Loading...

Load Error

Tesla, which now sells its Model 3 electric cars in China and plans to deliver its Model Y sport utility vehicles in 2021, plans to invest 42 million yuan ($6.4 million) in a new factory to make the chargers, also known as charging piles, near its car plant in Shanghai, the document seen by Reuters said.

China, which offers hefty subsidies for electric vehicles as it seeks to cut down on pollution from petrol or diesel cars, has been expanding its nationwide network of charging points, one of the biggest challenges to encouraging adoption of EVs.

The factory, which Tesla expects to complete in February, will have capacity to make 10,000 chargers a year, according to the document submitted by Tesla.

It now imports the chargers, usually installed in charging stations or car parks, from the United States.

Tesla, which sold over 13,000 vehicles in China last month, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Shanghai car factory, central to Tesla’s global growth strategy, aims to produce 150,000 Model 3 sedans this year and has started exporting some vehicles to Europe.

Executives at Tesla said this year that the firm would expand its charging network to provide better service.

($1 = 6.5732 Chinese yuan renminbi)

(Reporting by Yilei Sun and Brenda Goh; Editing by Edmund Blair)

Source Article

...

Video released by a Florida sheriff’s office shows two deputies pulling their weapons and one firing at a car as it drives near him in a shooting that killed two Black teenagers. The Brevard County Sheriff’s Office released the video Tuesday after the teenagers’ families and their attorney, famed civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump, demanded more information about last Friday’s events that led to the fatal shooting of A.J. Crooms, 16, and Sincere Pierce, 18.

The sheriff’s office said in a Facebook post that Deputies Jafet Santiago-Miranda and Carson Hendren were doing a follow-up investigation on what they thought was a stolen car. When they spotted the car, they followed it as it drove through a residential neighborhood and then pulled into the driveway of a home.

Dashcam video shows the deputies, in two different squad cars, getting out of their vehicles as the car they are following starts backing out of the driveway. Santiago-Miranda says repeatedly, “Stop the vehicle.”

The vehicle stops for a few seconds, backs up a bit and then drives in the direction of Santiago-Miranda as the deputy fires his weapon, according to the video.

Santiago-Miranda “was then forced to fire his service weapon in an attempt to stop the deadly threat of the car from crashing into him,” the sheriff’s office Facebook post said.

Crump said Wednesday in a tweet that the video shows the teens were terrified and tried to drive around the deputies. Out of harm’s way, Santiago-Miranda moved closer to the car to get a better shot, Crump said.

Crump has previously represented the families of Trayvon Martin, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, George Floyd and Jacob Blake.

“I was angry about it, I was angry because I miss him,” Crooms’ mother Tasha Strachan told CBS affiliate WKMG-TV. “I want answers to why that was done, it didn’t have to be done like that.”  

The deputies involved in the fatal shooting have been put on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

Meanwhile, scores of protesters carrying signs that said “Who Do You Call When Police Murder?” and “Prosecute the Police,” walked along a busy road in Cocoa on Wednesday evening, chanting “Justice for A.J. Justice for Spud,” a nickname for Pierce.

WKMG reports the teens’ cousin, Charity Baxter, wants to know why deadly force was necessary in this situation.

“When you did approach him, why was the first thing to shoot?” Baxter said.

Pierce’s family said they are asking for justice.

“I’m looking for a little closure,” Pierce’s mother Qausheda Pierce said. “We want some answers.”

In a news release, the Office of the State

…...

COCOA, Fla. (AP) — Video released by a Florida sheriff’s office shows two deputies pulling their weapons and one firing at a car as it drives at him in a shooting that killed two Black teenagers.

The Brevard County Sheriff’s Office released the video Tuesday after the teenagers’ families and their attorney, famed civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump, demanded more information about last Friday’s events that led to the fatal shooting of A.J. Crooms, 16, and Sincere Pierce, 18.

The sheriff’s office said in a Facebook post that Deputies Jafet Santiago-Miranda and Carson Hendren were doing a follow-up investigation on what they thought was a stolen car. When they spotted the car, they followed it as it drove through a residential neighborhood and then pulled into the driveway of a home.

Dashcam video shows the deputies, in two different squad cars, getting out of their vehicles as the car they are following starts backing out of the driveway. Santiago-Miranda says repeatedly, “Stop the vehicle.”

The vehicle stops for a few seconds, backs up a bit and then drives in the direction of Santiago-Miranda as the deputy fires his weapon, according to the video.

Santiago-Miranda “was then forced to fire his service weapon in an attempt to stop the deadly threat of the car from crashing into him,” the sheriff’s office Facebook post said.

“For two young Black teens just beginning their lives to be ended is a tragedy and a terrible loss to their families and to the community,” Crump said in a statement Monday.

Crump has previously represented the families of Trayvon Martin, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, George Floyd and Jacob Blake.

The deputies involved in the fatal shooting have been put on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

Source Article

...

A video showing a car veering off a Maryland highway before hitting a mound of earth and launching into the air has been watched tens of millions of times.



a view of a city at night: Bad weather on the M11, dusk.


© Getty Images/Damian Gillie
Bad weather on the M11, dusk.

The clip, filmed by the passenger of another car and shared on TikTok, shows the vehicle swerving off the road and—having avoided trees and a metal crash barrier—driving along a grass verge running parallel with the road.

5 Facts To Know About Older Drivers

UP NEXT

UP NEXT

Seconds later the car hits a bump and is propelled into the air, narrowly missing a large metal highway sign.

The car hits the ground again heavily and is shown at the end of the video stationary in what appears to be a gully running underneath the road.

Police said the unnamed driver was “very lucky” to have walked away from the crash and warned it “could have been a lot worse.”

The incident happened close to the Belfast Road exit of Interstate 83 in Baltimore County, Maryland, and was posted over the weekend on the video sharing platform.

The driver was said not to have suffered injuries following the crash and state police said he refused treatment.

However he was cited for traffic violations including driving under the influence.

Ron Snyder, spokesperson for Maryland State Police, said: “The driver in this case was very lucky that he walked away without any injuries, even luckier that no one else was injured.

“This was in the middle of the day on a weekend … anyone could have been injured, and this could have been a lot worse than it really was.”

Video of the incident, shared by Old Row Outdoors, was watched more than 30 million times on TikTok and attracted more than five million likes.

Similar footage from Poland in April showed a car hitting a roundabout before becoming airborne.

CCTV footage of the dramatic crash in Lodz on Easter Sunday showed the vehicle driving along an empty road towards the roundabout.

The silver Suzuki Swift continued at speed through the junction before hitting the roundabout island and launching into the air.

The driver managed to avoid a statue of the Pope but clipped a pine tree in mid-air.

The car caught fire as it hit the ground but the 41-year-old driver survived and remained conscious as firefighters cut him free.

He suffered non-life-threatening injuries and was taken to hospital.

Police officers reportedly said the man smelled like alcohol although the results of his breathalyzer test were not published.

Start your unlimited Newsweek trial

Continue Reading

Source Article

...

Ottawa councillors responsible for prioritizing transportation projects had “the loop” whirling in their minds Monday as they debated the future of an interprovincial rail line.



Maxime Pedneaud-Jobin wearing glasses and looking at the camera: FILES: Gatineau Mayor Maxime Pedneaud-Jobin said he doesn't want the idea of a loop to get in the way of authorities making prompt decisions on the current STO plan.


© Provided by Ottawa Citizen
FILES: Gatineau Mayor Maxime Pedneaud-Jobin said he doesn’t want the idea of a loop to get in the way of authorities making prompt decisions on the current STO plan.

The transportation committee endorsed recommendations by Ottawa staff to support two options for bringing trams over the Portage Bridge and into downtown Ottawa, with an expensive Sparks Street tunnel, in the committee’s opinion, being the “optimal” method compared to running a twin-track tram on the surface of Wellington Street.

The Société de transport de l’Outaouais (STO) is planning the new transit system between Aylmer and Ottawa’s parliamentary precinct. No money from City of Ottawa property taxpayers would be required, but council on Nov. 25 needs to give its blessing to STO and the City of Gatineau to pursue the project on Ottawa streets.

Meanwhile, advocates of a transit loop connecting the downtowns of Hull and Ottawa using the Portage and Alexandra bridges, combined with Wellington Street in Ottawa and Laurier Street in Gatineau, have seized the opportunity and successfully planted the idea in the minds of Ottawa councillors.

Gatineau Mayor Maxime Pedneaud-Jobin, who attended the virtual committee meeting, said he doesn’t want the idea of a loop to get in the way of authorities making prompt decisions on the current STO plan, which goes no farther than Elgin Street in Ottawa.

While Pedneaud-Jobin said he sees “no contradiction between the loop and our project,” he considers the current STO plan as a first phase before building a transit loop.

Pedneaud-Jobin and STO need the federal government to provide funding for the transit plan. The Quebec government has signalled its commitment to the project, but, as Pedneaud-Jobin pointed out, the province wouldn’t be interested in funding infrastructure on the other side of the Ottawa River.

The difference in cost between the Wellington Street and Sparks Street options is significant.

The Wellington Street surface option with three stations would cost $3.03 billion. The Sparks Street tunnel option with two stations would cost between $3.53 billion and $3.9 billion.

The money is just one factor — albeit a big one — in the decision to build rail on the surface or underground. The future of Ottawa’s prime tourist attraction, Parliament Hill and the surrounding precinct, is a top concern when it comes to the prospect of running trams on Wellington Street.

Coun. Matthew Luloff called the Parliament Buildings “most iconic vista we have in the city” in voicing his preference for a tram running in a tunnel under Sparks Street, whose pedestrian mall could benefit from increased foot traffic from two stations.

Other councillors see an opportunity too good to pass up with the prospect of a tram running on Wellington Street.

Coun. Catherine McKenney, whose Somerset ward includes the parliamentary precinct, said the city should commit to removing traffic from Wellington Street, though

…...

If you’re a fan of the historical notion that progress doesn’t move as a straight, upward line but tends to be a bit more wiggly, then there was an article about cycling in this week’s Mail on Sunday that very much proved the point.

Anti-cyclist pieces in the Mail are not exactly uncommon, but this one was notable because its key argument was that cyclists should “pay road tax”.

If this blogpost were a film, this would be the moment to insert a sudden, soundtrack-halting needle scratch, with a narrator filling the sudden silence to say: “Yes, road tax.”

You know the one. Abolished in 1937. Replaced by vehicle excise duty (VED), which is, as has been explained countless times, very much not a tax to pay for roads – the money goes into the central pot, as do almost all tax revenues.

VED is also based on exhaust emissions, meaning that even if cyclists were liable for it, bikes would be, as with dozens of electric and hybrid cars, charged precisely £0 a year.

The idea that cyclists are freeloaders because they don’t pay “road tax” has been so thoroughly debunked over so many years that, these days, it is mainly the preserve of anonymous Twitter accounts.

And yet it has returned. Even more notable was the author of this Mail on Sunday opinion piece – Nigel Farage. And to find Farage weighing in on the subject of cycling interests me.

In political terms, we are currently amid what could be called version 3.0 Farage. Brexit is all but over, and his plan B of being a Donald Trump camp follower/media pundit took a significant dent at the weekend.

But Farage is nothing if not adaptable, and is currently reinventing himself as something of an all-purpose, hard-right, populist culture warrior, whether warning about an “invasion” of asylum seekers in the Channel or battling lockdown.

His article on cycling is both at times openly ludicrous – he opines that the “vast majority” of road cyclists frequenting the Kent lanes where he lives are also most likely remainers – but also illustrative of the language adopted by rightwing populists, featuring dehumanising terms such as likening cyclists to “a strange swarm of insects”.

Farage has, presumably, held these golf club bore opinions about cyclists for many years. So why air them now? The clue comes later in the article, when he condemns government spending on ways to boost walking and cycling amid lockdown, such as temporary bike lanes and so-called low traffic neighbourhoods (LTNs).

This is the key. Cycling is in the news, and it means that once again we must face a rash of unsavoury anti-cyclist opinion pieces, among which Farage’s is just the latest.

A fortnight ago, a columnist in the Times used proposed changes to the Highway Code to better protect vulnerable road users to complain about cyclists “stamping their feet”, saying “the fact they’re pedalling the eco-friendly option has already gone to their heads”. This is another

…...

Since David Fields arrived on the job in Houston in February he has been a man in motion, even as the city nearly ground to halt to stop COVID-19.

As the city’s first chief transportation planner — a position aimed at coordinating Houston’s ever-changing streets into a coherent system for drivers, transit users, cyclists and anyone who uses the roads — Fields finds himself watching along with the rest of us what the virus and lockdown are doing to commute patterns and recreational trips through neighborhoods. Traffic may have dropped dramatically on local freeways but bayou trails are teeming with runners and bike riders.

Fields came from a private sector job in San Francisco, where much of his work was for local governments and transit agencies redesigning streets, plazas and bus and train depots, and establishing policies for parking and vehicle use.

In an email discussion, Fields says in the future residents could find streets that consider more than just cars, where safety for everyone trumps speed, depending on what the city is trying to achieve for particular streets so sprawling Houston can get full use of the funds it dedicates to roads.


As you look at upcoming plans and projects around the city, how is COVID-19 affecting them? Are there tangible things that are changing or are the changes more conceptual, in the sense we might not know what demand is going to look like 12-18-24 months out any longer?

Streets are funny things. Some people see them as having just two purposes: Movement and storage. That might be cars, bikes, transit, or walking, but for all of them, we often limit in our minds what this very physical and expensive infrastructure can do for us.

COVID-19 is reminding us that streets don’t need to do the same job, 24 hours per day, seven days per week, 365 days per year. If we limit streets to these two jobs, we’re not getting the full value out of our investment in our city. While our streets move people at some times of day, those same roads can be used as play spaces at other times. Businesses reminded us that space used for parking sometimes can be used for restaurant pick-up zones at other times.

Learning this lesson is a huge benefit for our city, because the more ways we can use our roads, the more value we provide to our community.

LANDSCAPE PLANNER: Post-pandemic world could be ‘a little bit slower and a whole lot greener’


From a planning perspective, has the new coronavirus bought you a little time to sort things out? The challenge here historically has been projects rarely have kept up with traffic and often induced demand makes the shelf life of their benefits much shorter. So, is there a silver lining to a pause?

COVID-19 is a teaching moment. It’s time to take a hard look about what we thought could never change. One of those big topics is believing that everyone who commutes must commute

…...

Classic Shows is a long-standing organiser and operator of classic vehicle events having organised over 1,000 events since its inception in 1985.

Since this time Classic Shows has operated events from most of the UKs major indoor venues including Alexandra Palace, GMEX, NEC and Event City and a large number of prestigious country homes locations such as Blenheim Palace, Harewood House, Clumber Park, Capesthorne Hall, Bodelwyddan Castle and Cholmondeley Castle.

We like to try and keep things simple and our philosophy focusses on three core strands:

This approach has helped Classic Shows to become firmly established as the longest running independent operator of classic vehicle events in the UK.

In the winter months the business operates a number of classic car and motorbike autojumbles and motorbike events at Three Counties Showground, Malvern. This recently refurbished facility provides considerable indoor and outdoor accommodation and offers a fantastic opportunity to acquire hard-to-find parts, supplies, memorabilia and mingle with likeminded vehicle enthusiasts.

During the summer, the events grow in scale and change theme to that of classic car and motorbike shows. These events all include considerable autojumble and retail opportunities but also involve displays of 300 – 1,000+ classic vehicles, experienced concours judging, commentary and awards ceremonies throughout the event all set within the backdrop of a superb country home location.

Source Article

...