November 25, 2020

killed

COLONIE — A local businessman known for a series of successful nightclubs and a popular restaurant was struck and killed by a car outside his Troy-Schenectady Road restaurant Sunday evening.

Nicholas Huban, 69, was blowing leaves from his property while walking in the left, westbound lane when he was hit from behind by a car driven by a local man, police said.

The driver, Amar Khoukhi, 59, stopped immediately and tried to give cardiopulmonary resuscitation to Huban. Local paramedics took Huban to the hospital, but police said he died on the way.

Police said Khoukhi, who was traveling with a son riding as his passenger, cooperated with the investigation and neither speeding nor driver impairment are suspected in the crash.

The crash happened at about 7:27 p.m. near Huban’s business, On the Farm, a local restaurant that features ice cream and a variety of grilled foods at 273 Troy-Schenectady Road. During the winter, Huban would sell Christmas trees out of the parking lot, traveling up to Maine to personally select them.

Huban was familiar to many in the region for his work in the region’s nightclub scene. He owned Sneaky Pete’s on Latham Circle for years and, after a fire at the club, opened the restaurant in 1986, using land from his father’s farm.

Craig Allen, owner of All Star Wine and Spirits, met Huban when he worked as a club operator. The two became friends and Huban would still stop in once a week to say hello and chat with Allen’s staff. Though Huban had been a successful businessman for decades, you were likely to see him wearing jeans and work boots, Allen said.

“He’s going to be missed,” Allen said. “A lot of people are going to be shaken by this.”

Huban made two more runs with Sneaky Pete’s too, opening versions of the club on Broadway in Saratoga Springs and Central Avenue in Albany.

Bill Kennedy recalled walking in to the future site of Sneaky Pete’s on Central Avenue after graduating from college, hoping to land a job as a promoter. He ended up working for Huban for more than eight years before moving to Las Vegas. Huban was a father figure to him, a business owner who emphasized teaching staff to do things, “the right way,” Kennedy said.

Kennedy said one of the legacy’s of Sneaky Pete’s and Huban was the sheer number of people who met their partner or spouse there, including himself. He’s even heard stories of children of couples who met at the Latham Circle location meeting their own partners decades later at the Albany club.

On a Sneaky Pete’s fan Facebook page, remembrances to Huban were pouring in from people praising him.

Huban’s real pride though was in his three children, Kennedy said.

“Nick loved his children more than anything,” he said. “I grieve for them the most.”

Earlier: On the Farm makes burgers, sandwiches adorned with local produce

Source Article

...

DURBAN (Reuters) – South Africa international defender Anele Ngcongca was killed in a car accident on Monday, his Premier Soccer League club AmaZulu have confirmed.



a close up of Anele Ngcongca: South Africa's Ngcongca lines up before the start of a friendly match in Port Elizabeth


© Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO
South Africa’s Ngcongca lines up before the start of a friendly match in Port Elizabeth

Ngcongca, 33, was a member of South Africa squad at the 2010 World Cup and started the 2-1 victory over France, winning 53 caps over seven years in the national team. His last appearance was in 2016.

He also spent nine seasons at Belgian side Genk, competing in the Champions League in five of those and making 279 appearances.

The right back was named in the club’s Team of the Century in 2015 alongside Real Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois and Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne.

Ngcongca was a passenger in the vehicle as it lost control on a highway 50 kilometres north of Durban. The female driver is in a critical condition in hospital.

“On arrival of IPSS advanced life support paramedics, they found an adult male lying approximately 30m from the wrecked vehicle. The man showed no signs of life and was declared dead by paramedics,” Paul Herbst of IPSS Medical Rescue said in a statement.

(Reporting by Nick Said; Editing by Christian Radnedge)

Source Article

...

CLOSE

GREEN BAY – A 21-year-old man was killed when his bicycle collided with a train in De Pere Sunday.

De Pere police responded to a report of a crash between a bicycle and a train around 7:45 a.m. near Reid Street and Bicentennial Park Sunday morning.

Based on the investigation, the man was riding his bicycle westbound on a path on Reid Street near Bicentennial Park. The path is crossed by railway tracks and a train was headed northbound, police said.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene due to his injuries from the crash.

The train was operated by CN Railway. The crash remains under investigation.

Contact Benita Mathew at (920) 309-3428 or [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @benita_mathew.

Read or Share this story: https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/news/2020/11/22/21-year-old-man-killed-de-pere-bicycle-and-train-crash/6382707002/

Source Article

...

A 31-year-old motorcyclist was killed Thursday after he collided head-on with a car, authorities said.

The crash took place around 5:40 p.m. when a woman driving west on West White Horse Pike struck the eastbound motorcycle as she tried to make a left onto South Cologne Avenue, Galloway police said Friday.

The motorcyclist, Darryl B. Crowder Jr., of Hammonton, was brought to AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center in Atlantic City, where he was pronounced dead.

Summonses are pending for the driver of the car, a 67-year-old woman from Vineland, according to police.

Anyone with information is asked to call officer Ron Gorneau at 609-652-3705 ext. 5095 or officer Nick Stewart at 609-652-3705 ext. 5107.

Jeff Goldman may be reached at [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @JeffSGoldman. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

Have a tip? Tell us. nj.com/tips. Get the latest updates right in your inbox. Subscribe to NJ.com’s newsletters.

———

©2020 NJ Advance Media Group, Edison, N.J.

Visit NJ Advance Media Group, Edison, N.J. at www.nj.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Continue Reading

Source Article

...

A high school student was killed and another student was injured when a freight train struck the vehicle they were riding in late Thursday in Middlesex County, officials said.

The collision occurred at New Brunswick Avenue and Tyler Place in Piscataway, according to the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office. The vehicle was hit as it “drove through a railroad crossing” at the intersection.

The vehicle’s driver died at the scene while a passenger was taken to an area hospital, authorities said.

Officials confirmed the driver was a student at Piscataway High School while the injured passenger was also a student.

“I am deeply saddened to report the death of one of our Piscataway High School students in an accident, and the injury of a second student,” Superintendent Dr. Frank Ranelli said.

“I know our entire school community joins me in grieving the loss of a student, and will pull together to support both families, as well as in supporting all students and staff of the Piscataway School District,” Ranelli said in a message to the community.

“We have crisis management procedures in place to help students through this tragedy,” Ranelli said. “School counselors and Child Study Team members will assist students and staff through their grief.”

“During a time such as this, I am deeply grateful for the strength of our Piscataway Family,” he said.

Authorities did not immediately disclose the names of the students or provide more details on the crash.

Anyone with information was asked to call Piscataway police at 732-562-7647 or the county prosecutor’s office at 732-745-4328.

Our journalism needs your support. Please subscribe today to NJ.com.

Noah Cohen may be reached at [email protected]

———

©2020 NJ Advance Media Group, Edison, N.J.

Visit NJ Advance Media Group, Edison, N.J. at www.nj.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Continue Reading

Source Article

...

A motorist in an SUV was killed after the vehicle was struck by a pickup truck headed the wrong way on the Sunken Meadow Parkway on Friday night in Commack, authorities said.

The identity of the deceased driver was not released by New York State Police in a statement Friday night.

Police said the wrong-way crash occurred shortly before 7:30 p.m. on the northbound side of Sunken Meadow Parkway, north of Exit SM3. A driver in a pickup was traveling south in the northbound lanes when it struck the SUV, police said.

“The driver of the SUV died at the scene and the driver of the pickup truck was treated for serious injuries” at South Shore University Hospital in Bay Shore, officials said.

The identity of the pickup driver was also not released by authorities.

As of 10:30 p.m. Friday, police said the Sunken Meadow State Parkway was closed northbound and traffic was being diverted at Exit SM3.

The investigation was ongoing Friday night.

State police are urging anyone with information to call 631-756-3300.

Source Article

...

GRIDLEY — Five people who were killed in a 10-vehicle pileup early Saturday morning on Highway 99 have been identified by the Butte County Sheriff’s Office.

Inderpal Rajput, 61, of Live Oak; Noah Anderson-Burdick, 18, of Yuba City; Camille Bent, 20, of Sierra Madre; Kira Jumper, 19, of Redding; and John Wegner, of Redding were killed in the crash that involved five semitrailers and five passenger vehicles.

The crash occurred around 12:30 a.m. south of Hinaman Drive between Gridley and Biggs. Dense fog reducing visibility blanketed the area at the time of the crash. The California Highway Patrol is still investigating the crash.

A portion of the highway between the intersection of East Biggs Highway and Spruce Street in Gridley remained closed through the night and for much of Saturday as cleanup efforts continued and a Major Accident Investigation Team from Sacramento investigated the crash site. Firefighters with Cal Fire-Butte County also assisted with clearing the scene.

Initial reports of the collision indicated three people had been killed, and two others were hospitalized due to their injuries.

Source Article

...

Detroit — A man was gunned down early Friday morning as he sat in a car on Detroit’s west side.

Shots were reported at 2 a.m. on the 2400 block of Gladstone, said Bryan Warrick, a Detroit Police Department spokesman. That’s south of Clairmount and east of Linwood.

Officers found a black Ford Fusion in the street, still running. Its windshield had been shot out. And a man was wounded in the driver seat.

Medics responded to the scene, but the victim died. 

Police did not immediately know the circumstances prior to the shooting.

Friday’s homicide was the second time this week someone was fatally shot while sitting in a vehicle in Detroit.

Tuesday: 1 dead among 2 men shot while sitting in car in Detroit

At about 9:10 p.m. Monday night, also on Detroit’s west side, two men in their 20s were shot while sitting in a 2014 Chevy Malibu.

The double shooting took place on the 18600 block of Prevost, which is south of Seven Mile, west of Greenfield.

Police say the victims were sitting in the Chey when a large SUV approached, and someone fired shots from inside.

Police did not immediately have a more detailed description of the vehicle or the shooter.

Both men, ages 23 and 26, were hit.

The 23-year-old man was initially listed in critical condition, but died from his injuries.

The 26-year-old man was listed in temporary serious condition.

Read or Share this story: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2020/11/20/man-killed-while-sitting-car-detroits-west-side/6354672002/

Source Article

...

A 30-year-old Montgomery man has been charged with first-degree murder, accused of shooting at a man out of jealousy over an ex-girlfriend.

Bail was set at $1 million Thursday morning for Chuckie E. Chatman of the 800 block of Victoria Drive. He can be freed if he posts $100,000.

        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        

 

In addition to the murder charge, Chatman faces felony charges of aggravated discharge of a weapon and reckless homicide in the death of Ernest A. Hardy, 39, of Aurora.

Aurora police say they heard “numerous” gunshots around 12:05 a.m. Oct. 17 on the 1100 block of Plum Street. They found a 2006 Dodge Durango truck that had crashed into a tree on the 700 block of Redwood Drive. Hardy was the driver.

The vehicle had been hit by gunfire. Police say they found evidence showing a vehicle chasing and firing shots at the Durango.

At bond call Thursday morning, Chatman’s lawyer argued the state didn’t have enough evidence to prove there was probable cause for an arrest. He said there was no evidence Chatman was the driver or passenger of the chasing vehicle — or that his telephone was in the area — at the time of the shooting.

But the prosecutor said there was evidence that Hardy was dating Chatman’s ex-girlfriend; that Chatman had gone to the ex-girlfriend’s house, and was upset; that the woman gave Chatman Hardy’s cellphone number; and that Chatman had arranged with Hardy to go somewhere to fight. Police found evidence showing Chatman’s phone was in the area of the house and the crash, she said.


        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        

 

The ex-girlfriend was in Hardy’s vehicle when it crashed, the prosecutor said.

Chatman lives on the 800 block of Victoria Drive.

Aurora police are still investigating the case. Anyone with information is asked to call the Investigations Division at (630) 256-5500.

        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        

Source Article

...

The Marine Corps has identified the Marine killed in an Oct. 30 car accident in San Diego.

Lance Cpl. Tristin Rzekonski was a 22-year-old aviation mechanic with Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 165, according to the Marine Corps.

Rzekonski was pulling out his apartment complex in a 2014 Chevy Malibu with his wife in the passenger seat when a woman driving a 2020 Tesla Model Y collided with him, according to the San Diego Police Department.

The Marine’s wife, Samantha, received only mild injuries from the accident, according to San Diego police. The Marine was later pronounced dead at the hospital, according to an accident report from the Naval Safety Center.

“With a sad and heavy heart, I regret to inform you all that on Friday evening we lost Lance Corporal Tristin Rzekonski,” Lt. Col. Joshua Bringhurst, the commanding officer of Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 165, said in an early November Facebook post from the unit.

“This tragic event has been difficult for all of us to comprehend,” he added.

Rzekonski graduated from boot camp in February 2019 alongside his brother, Corey, according to his obituary. He married his wife in July 2019.

“He had a huge impact on the people around him and was there for anyone who need him,” his obituary states.

…...